Bicycles Against Poverty is looking for a Development and Communications Fellow to work out of its office in Gulu, Uganda. The position will focus on BAP's fundraising initiatives as well as communication materials. The fellowship is a 6-month commitment from January to June, and June to December.
BAP is looking for a passionate and savvy individual who wants to make things buzz at BAP by getting the word out about BAP and helping to fundraise for more bicycles.
The position is based out of BAP's headquartered office in Gulu, Uganda. The majority of the work will be done in the office, but will additionally include opportunities to take field visits to the villages in which we operate.
The fellow will specifically work in the following two areas, 1) Development, and 2) Communications:
Development: Fundraising is key to any nonprofit. The candidate will help with the following:
1) Assisting BAP's annual year-end campaign, including: Following-up with donors to thank them after a gift, keeping track of key metrics and progress to date, corresponding with / managing campaign volunteers
2) Managing donor logistics and databases
3) Drafting and editing grants and proposals
4) Conducting prospective funder and grants research
5) Potentially (though unlikely), assisting and managing events, including event planning, guest outreach, and other logistics surrounding planning (all done remotely from the Ugandan office).
Communications: BAP is growing quickly and our social media presence must match this growth. The candidate will help to:
1) Strategize and edit communication and marketing materials
2) Manage the BAP website, including routine maintenance
3) Manage social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Instragram account
4) Draft and send out with our monthly newsletters
5) Interview BAP participants to create participant profiles (includes fieldwork in rural villages)
-Independent worker with self-starter personality
-Easily adaptable and able to work between two cultures
-Ability to articulate thoughts clearly and concisely
-Strong oral and written communication skills
-Demonstrated passion and commitment to creating social change
-Understanding of various social media platforms
-Previous work in developing countries is an added bonus
Compensation will include a housing stipend.
Send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] and include Uganda Development / Comms Fellowship.